For many professional activities, official recognition of foreign qualifications is important and even necessary. Depending on the professional activity, a different authority will be responsible for conferring such recognition. Switzerland works closely with the European Union within the framework of the Swiss-EU Bilateral Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons (AFMP) and has adopted the EU’s system of mutual recognition of professional qualifications. Nationals from non-EU states are also entitled to apply for recognition of their foreign qualifications in Switzerland.
Two different procedures
The procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications vary according to citizenship and the amount of time in which the person will remain in Switzerland:
- Recognition procedure (residence in Switzerland, cross-border commuters, architecture tenders, etc.)
- Declaration procedure for service providers from EU/EFTA member states wishing to carry out a regulated professional activity in Switzerland for no more than 90 days per calendar year
(establishment in an EU/EFTA member state)
National contact point
SERI’s Contact Point for the Recognition of Foreign Qualifications can provide you with information about the following:
- General questions on the recognition of foreign qualifications and professional activities in Switzerland
- Which authorities are responsible for recognition of specific qualifications
- Whether the given occupation or profession is regulated in Switzerland
- Certificates for foreign authorities
We are pleased to answer specific questions regarding recognition to which this website does not provide an answer: Contact form
A hotline is also available Monday-Friday from 9:30 am to 11:30 am at the following number +41 58 462 28 26.
The hotline is exceptionally not operated from the 3rd to the 7th of October 2022.
Please note that:
- The contact point only provides general information (no information on submitted applications for recognition).
- The contact point is not a complaints body and does not comment on the recognition practices of other authorities.
Direct Link to SERI’s online platform: www.sbfi.admin.ch/becc