Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Declaration Procedure

General questions

What groups of workers are subject to the declaration requirement?
The declaration requirement applies to self-employed service providers and posted workers. More details can be found in the following information sheet:

Directive 2005/36/EC guarantees that certain deadlines will be met when processing service provider declarations. When do these deadlines start to run?
This point is covered in Art. 6 of the Ordinance of 26 June 2013 on the Declaration Requirement and the Verification of Service Provider Qualifications in Regulated Professions (DRPO): the deadlines begin to run as soon as SERI receives a fully completed declaration together with all necessary accompanying documents. If the declaration file is incomplete, the deadline does not start to run.

What fees are charged for the declaration procedure?
For each authority, statutory fee regulations apply. SERI charges CHF 90.00 for the first declaration. Additional fees are charged for verification of qualifications, depending on the professional activity and verification workload involved (e.g. medical professions taught at universities).

When do I need to submit a declaration form in order to be certain that I can begin my professional activity at the desired time?
Depending on the professional activity, the procedure may take different lengths of time. As a rule, it is sufficient to report the activity one month in advance. Processing times may be longer if declaration processing is suspended (e.g. if required documents are missing).

I have already obtained recognition of my foreign qualification in Switzerland. Do I still need to submit a declaration form?
Yes, declaration is mandatory. However, you have to include your equivalence certificate with the accompanying documents submitted with the declaration.

When do I need to renew my declaration?
The declaration must be renewed every calendar year. The best time to renew is one month before the service is provided.

When must the declaration be renewed if the provision of services extends over two calendar years?
In such case, the renewal must take place towards the end of the first calendar year. For example, if you want to provide a service from November to April, you must submit the renewal in December.

Questions about accompanying documents

What happens if I do not submit all the required documents?
In such case, the declaration is incomplete and invalid. You will receive a letter by post or an email asking you to complete the declaration. As long as this is not complete, the deadlines set forth in Directive 2005/36/EC do not start to run.

Where can I obtain the required documents?
Depending on the country of origin and professional activity, different authorities will be responsible for issuance. You must obtain a copy of your qualification and a certified copy of your qualification. Issuance of other documents, particularly the certificate of legal establishment, is handled by a different authority depending on the country. In case of doubt, you may contact the national contact point in your country of origin.

Do I need to provide proof of professional liability insurance coverage?
Service providers must provide information regarding their professional liability insurance coverage, in accordance with Art. 7 para. 1 of Directive 2005/36/EC and Art. 2 para. 2 let. e of Switzerland’s Ordinance of 26 June 2013 on the Declaration Requirement and the Verification of Service Provider Qualifications in Regulated Professions (DRPO).

Will I have to take a test to demonstrate my level of proficiency in an official language of Switzerland?
Certain language skills may be required in order to carry out a given professional activity (see Art. 53 of Directive 2005/36/EC).
If you have a certificate attesting language proficiency in one of the three official languages of Switzerland (German, French or Italian), then we certainly recommend that you include this certificate in the documents accompanying your declaration form.

Is a criminal record certificate required?
Professional activities in the security sector may require proof of no prior convictions (Art. 7 para. 2 let. e of Directive 2005/36/EC and Art. 3 let. f of the Ordinance of 26 June 2013 on the Declaration Requirement and the Verification of Service Provider Qualifications in Regulated Professions DRPO). For other activities, a certificate certifying that the provider is legally authorised to carry out the professional activity is sufficient proof that there are no prior convictions incompatible with pursuit of the given activity.